Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kim's Chocolate Memory

In the house where I grew up, chocolate was a precious commodity. The only chocolate we usually had was a bag of chocolate chips. These were very off limits to my sister and I. Mom needed them to bake with and we were absolutely not allowed to touch them. Well, does anyone really ever follow ALL of the rules when she's a kid? One day, when Mom wasn't looking, we cut a tiny hole in the bag the perfect size for just one little chocolate chip to slip through. This way we could eat the chocolate chips one at a time without our mother ever noticing.

When I was about eight, I got tired of sneaking one chip at a time. I wanted to share those tasty little treats with everyone! So, without a thought to the consequences, I took a whole bunch of chocolate chips from the coveted bag. I went to the bathroom and got out our Dixie cup dispenser. Placing one little chip in between each cup, I felt pleased with myself: What a happy surprise I was giving everyone when they thought they were only going to get a drink! The dispenser was in the kids' bathroom, so it took my mother a while to discover the missing chocolate chips. Of course she was going to discover it eventually, and when she did, oh wow, was she mad! Naturally, I blamed it on my innocent and clueless sister and she was the one who got in trouble. But I learned my lesson; I never touched those chocolate chips again!


-Kim


Director of School Partnerships

1 comment:

  1. loved reading it!!!!We will always savor sweet memories of childhood!!

    Amrita.

    ReplyDelete