Wednesday, July 20, 2011

We've all got one we don't like

I think if you're reading this blog you will agree with me when I say that chocolate is pretty darn awesome. I will assume that you, like me, will eat almost anything as long as its coated in sweet cocoa-y goodness. However, even the most devout chocolate lovers have their persnickety moments. For example, I could devour an entire bag of Hershey's Miniatures in the same amount of time as it takes a lion to take down a gazelle, but you couldn't pay me to eat a Babe Ruth (it's a textural thing). So, let's all be honest here and admit that even though we're all confessed chocolate nuts, there are just those chocolates that make some of us say "No thank you!" (I mean seriously, Babe Ruths have the texture of sand paper. Chocolate and sand paper does not a delicious treat make). Here's one such story from our very own Cassandra about her own chocolate arch-nemesis: Snickers.

As a child, I can remember the candy bar that everyone couldn't get enough of: Snickers. I knew people who would fight over a Snickers candy bar; it was that big of a deal. Kids would stop at the neighborhood candy store, which was oh-so-conveniently located on our way to and from school, and spend their lunch money on as many Snickers as they could afford. I could not stop my baby sister from spending all of her money on candy, all the while trying to practice constraint myself. The candy store was not an actual candy store; it was a house that sold candy to the frequently passing school children (probably something that would be frowned upon in this day and age). I can't imagine how much money they made off us throughout the years. While my peers grubbed and grabbed for Snickers, I was tempted by other candies first thing in the morning. Honestly, I just didn't like Snickers at all. The first person I told that to wondered if something was seriously wrong with me. I don't think I told anyone else my Snickers secret after that. I just didn't understand every one's obsession. In my young self's opinion, a snickers candy bar was too big, distastefully thick, not very rich or creamy, and unpleasantly bumpy with nuts. Everyone I knew seemed to be able to gulp down a Snickers in 3 bites, but I struggled to get each bite down. I was a tiny child and can remember thinking: this candy bar is for bigger people and it's just too big for me! To this day, even as a grown up, I believe a Snickers is still way too big for me. Hungry for a Snicker Bar? I can wait, thanks!


-Cassandra

So what's that one chocolate that you really don't like? And no...you can't say chocolate bugs. That doesn't count unless you've actually eaten them! Hopefully, you'll find plenty of chocolates that you DO like at Young Audiences' Chocolate Fest on September 15th!

No comments:

Post a Comment